Friday, May 12, 2023

Mothers...


I don't really follow pop culture all that much, but my feed is full of Brooke Shields and the documentary about her life right now,  and the algorithm knows me well,  because I clicked on it. 


And then I fell down the rabbit hole and ended up watching this amazing interview of Brooke by another child star,  Drew Barrymore.  And Drew just let is slip that somehow, in her entanglement with her daughter,  Drew's mother used to seduce Drew's boyfriends.  Even Brooke's face froze for a minute at this throw away line.  


And I thought about enmeshment,  and how some women just can't let their children become individuals,  but are always reflections of them.  


Some of the women I read for, come to me to talk about their mothers.  It's such a central relationship,  mother and child,  mother and daughter.  Sometimes,  it's easier with sons - the difference in gender protects both of them.  But I see the stickiness that some mothers have with their adult daughters and how difficult it is for the young (and not so young) women to pull away from their mother's grasp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment