I watched Legion with my son and I really think it's a disturbing work of genius. Visually stunning and chaotic, and Dan Stephens, who frankly I didn't rate much in Downton Abbey, was absolutely superb here.
There is one snippet which I think explains some of the craziness I see going on today.
They explain the contagion of bad ticks and ideas, and the Nocebo effect (the opposite of placebo) And it just explains how people can somehow catch hysteria from each other, in ways that are not easy to fix.
It's not just that they are watching too much strange news. It's how they believe the news and how they then filter all information through this new weird lens. People get so committed to their ideas that they will not notice if/when they are proven wrong. They won't adjust. They will just reshape the information they receive, so that only information that verifies their beliefs make it through. Those are dangerous notions. If you can't verify your ideas or ignore facts that don't fit the theory you are doing bad science and boxing yourself into a belief system that will ultimately let you down, badly.

No comments:
Post a Comment