Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Taylor Swift


Sometimes you just want to be part of a cultural moment.  Sometimes you want to stand outside the cultural moment.  I've certainly had both feelings.  But I was watching the MTV WMA's in 2009 and saw Kanye West jump up on stage live and saw what he did to a girl I didn't know much about,  and my heart just melted for her.  I literally could not imagine anything worse.  It's like one of those nightmares where you're walking around naked,  but you get to wake up from them!  So she leapt up on my radar in a big way then.  And when 1989 came out,  I became a firm fan.  I just loved her lyrics,  and her courage.  I was walking up and down the West Side Highway, loving every song.  And I've listened to her ever since.  I loved If I were the Man,  and then really loved her last few albums.  Antihero is just a perfect song, but the video makes it even better! 


I'm not a true Swiftie.  I don't know the meanings of all her songs and I don't look for all the Easter eggs.  Instead,  I just listen to her music on face value and see how it speaks to me,  rather than what part of her life it relates to.  I've read some great articles about her - My Delirious Trip to the Heart of Swiftiedom, from the New York Times was one of my favorites - and just enjoyed the cultural phenom that she was becoming. 

So when I had a big birthday,  I just wanted one thing - that's right,  Taylor Swift concert tickets.  We couldn't get the cheap ones,  they were already gone,  so we splurged on the expensive VIP ones (it was that big a birthday!) I'm going to her Sydney show this Saturday.   I'm really looking forward to it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment